This vegetarian shepherd’s pie features tempeh, mushrooms, and red wine. It’s as lovely for weeknight dinners as it is for festive weekend gatherings.
- 4 medium white or butter potatoes (about 1 ¼ pounds), peeled and cut into ½” chunks
- Fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened unflavored non-dairy milk, warmed
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- One 8-ounce package of tempeh, crumbled
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence (or dried thyme, rosemary, or mix of both)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup mushroom or vegetable stock (low-sodium, if possible)
- Place the potatoes in a medium pot, add a teaspoon of salt, and enough water to cover by 2 inches. Close tightly with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer with the lid ajar until the potatoes can be pierced easily with a fork, about 15 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pot. Mash the potatoes until smooth. Add the milk and 1 tablespoon of the oil and mash again to incorporate. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Cover and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and carrot with ¼ teaspoon salt and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tempeh, garlic, Herbes de Provence, paprika, pepper, and another ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir to combine and cook until the tempeh is golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the mixture from the skillet and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of the oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return the tempeh mixture to the skillet and add the wine. Simmer for about 3 minutes to evaporate the alcohol. Then add the stock, bring the mixture to a simmer, and cook for 3 minutes more. Turn the heat off, taste, and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Transfer the tempeh-mushroom mixture to a deep-dish pie pan or 8×8” baking dish. Dollop with the potatoes and spread them in an even layer. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the top is lightly golden. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 250
Keywords: tempeh, mushrooms, potatoes, shepherd's pie, vegetarian shepherd's pie