Here is a super simple wheatberry salad. It’s got chewy wheatberries (a.k.a. whole wheat kernels), crunchy celery, sweet cranberries, walnuts, and an easy Dijon dressing.
- 1 1/4 cups wheatberries (See Note)
- Fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (apple cider vinegar also OK)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Season generously with salt (as you would pasta water) and add the wheatberries. Cook covered over medium heat until the grains are cooked through but still chewy, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, pepper, and a pinch of salt.
- Drain the wheatberries and add to the bowl, along with the celery, walnuts, and cranberries. Toss to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. This salad is best if you let it stand for a bit before serving – about 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
You can also use whole grain einkorn, emmer, farro, kamut, or spelt.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 167
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
Keywords: farro, ancient grains, wheatberry, salad, vegan