Yuca (also known as cassava) is native to Central and South America. These Cuban-inspired baked yuca fries make a great side dish or party appetizer.
For the Baked Yuca Fries
- 1 1/2 pounds yuca (about 1 large or 2 medium yuca stalks)
- Fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons organic canola oil or another neutral oil
For the Dip
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Prep the yuca: using a sharp knife, cut the yuca stalk into 2 or 3 pieces. (When you cut into it, the flesh should be white. If you see brown spots in the flesh or detect a strong acidic aroma, the yuca has gone bad and should be thrown away.) Working with 1 piece at a time, stand the piece on a flat side, and carefully slice off the skin, turning the piece as you go. Repeat with each piece. Next, cut the peeled pieces lengthwise into 4 batons to reveal a woody core (you may not see it, but it is there). Slice away a thin piece of the core and discard it. Then cut each resulting baton into French-fry shapes.
- Place the yuca in a pot and add enough water to cover by 2 inches and a generous pinch of salt. Cover tightly with a lid, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, and simmer with the lid ajar until the yuca is just starting to cook through but is not yet soft, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and let the yuca stand for 5 minutes to dry.
- Transfer the yuca to a bowl, drizzle with the oil, and season with salt. Toss to coat evenly and arrange on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Roast until the fries are golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Season with extra salt after you take them out of the oven.
- Meanwhile, make the dip: In a blender or food processor, combine all the dip ingredients and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Serve the fries immediately with the dip.
*If dairy or eggs are not a concern for you, feel free to use dairy yogurt and traditional mayo.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 311
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 5.1 g
Keywords: yuca, baked fries, yuca fries, cilantro sauce, yogurt