This vegan basmati rice pudding – made with almond milk, whole grain brown rice, and coconut flakes – yields a creamy, fragrant porridge that’s perfect for chilly mornings.
- 2 3/4 cups unsweetened almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup brown basmati rice, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, to taste
- In a medium pot, combine the milk, rice, vanilla, and salt. Cover tightly with a lid, bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to low. Gently simmer the pudding, covered, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid is absorbed, the rice is cooked through, and the pudding achieves a creamy consistency, 35 to 40 minutes (if the pudding starts to dry out while cooking, add a splash more of almond milk).
- Meanwhile, place the coconut in a small skillet over low heat. Toast, tossing frequently, until the flakes are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes, being careful not to burn them.
- Serve the pudding warm, topped with maple syrup and the coconut flakes. (Leftover rice pudding can be reheated on the stove with a bit of milk or water.)
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe
- Calories: 185
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
Keywords: porridge, rice pudding, basmati rice, vegan, gluten-free