Savory cabbage pancakes are a simple and unusual take on dinner. Add a side salad and you’re good to go!
- 3 packed cups shredded green cabbage (about 1/4 small head)* [see note below]
- 3 scallions (white parts finely chopped, green parts cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- About 1 tablespoon peeled and minced ginger
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch (or cornstarch)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Lots of coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for cooking
- Spicy mayo*
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, scallions, garlic, and ginger.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup chickpea flour, 1 tablespoon arrowroot, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and lots of coarsely ground black pepper. Add 1 cup water and 1 tablespoon oil, and whisk to combine, making sure to eliminate any lumps. (The batter should roughly be the texture of heavy cream.)
- Pour the batter into the cabbage mixture and fold to combine.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat and add enough oil to evenly coat the bottom. Using a 1/3-cup measure, portion out the pancakes, forming circular-ish shapes. Cook until the pancakes are dry around the edges and have small bubbles on top, 3 to 4 minutes. Then flip and brown the other side. (Pancakes will release from the pan when they’re ready; do not try to pry them off the pan and flip them too early, or they may fall apart. If you feel they’re getting stuck, use more oil. If they’re browning too quickly, reduce the heat.)
- Serve warm, with spicy mayo.
- If you have a food processor, use the slicing attachment to finely shred the cabbage. If not, shred it as thinly as possible with a sharp knife. (Alternatively, buy pre-shredded cabbage at the supermarket.)
- To make spicy mayo, stir some Sriracha (or any other hot sauce) into mayo until your desired heat level is reached. Or use store-bought chipotle mayo.
- Serving Size: 1 pancake without toppings
- Calories: 110
- Fat: 5.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.9 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
Keywords: vegan, gluten free, cabbage, pancakes, savory