Shake up your weekend breakfast routine with vegan cornmeal pancakes. They’re ready in under 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal* (see note below)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil, plus more for the pan*
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal with 1/3 cup water. Set aside while you prep the remaining ingredients, at least 5 minutes, stirring the mixture once or twice while it sits.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup cornmeal, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and salt. Whisk to incorporate.
- To the flax mixture, add 1 1/2 cups milk, 3 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture. Using a rubber spatula, fold the mixture just until there are no large lumps of flour left; avoid over-mixing, as you’ll risk ending up with tough-textured pancakes. It’s okay if the batter is a bit lumpy.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. When hot, brush with oil to lightly coat the bottom. Using a 1/2 cup measure, portion out the pancakes, making 2-3 at a time; the batter should sizzle as soon as it hits the pan. Cook until the edges look dry and there are small bubbles on the surface, about 3 minutes. Then flip and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes more.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, brushing the skillet with more oil between each batch.
- Serve warm, with maple syrup and fruit if desired.
- When combined with water, flaxseed meal takes on a gelatinous texture and acts like eggs in vegan pancakes and baked goods. (Hence why the mixture is known as a “flax egg.”) If you eat regular eggs, skip the flax and add 2 eggs to the wet ingredients in step 3.
- I love the rich aroma virgin coconut oil adds to pancakes. If you don’t like coconut flavor, use refined coconut oil or any other neutral-flavored oil, or melted butter.
- Serving Size: 2 pancakes
- Calories: 290
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 5.8 g
Keywords: vegan, cornmeal, pancakes, breakfast