You know those nights when you come home from work later and more exhausted than usual? Those nights when, upon looking into the fridge, you realize your dinner prospects are quite sad or non-existent? Those moments when the urge to order take-out seems undeniable? These easy vegan tacos are for those nights.
These babies are pretty much my ideal veggie tacos: meaty mushrooms, black beans, and fajita-style vegetables, all wrapped up in creamy guac and lightly charred corn tortillas. Sounds fancy, but these tacos come together quicker than a Seamless delivery.
For the filling, it’s important to get all the veggies nicely browned. I like to cook the mushrooms separately from the peppers and onions because if you crowd them all together, they will steam and become mushy instead of caramelizing.
The filling for these easy vegan tacos is perfect for meal prep. I recommend doubling the recipe and keeping it on-hand for quick meals throughout the week. Besides tacos, you can use it in burritos or in a burrito bowl, or top it with a fried egg and eat it with tortilla chips for breakfast.Print
Need a weeknight dinner recipe that’s faster than a Seamless delivery? Make these easy vegan tacos with fajita veggies, black beans, and guacamole.
- 2 tablespoons avocado or canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- 1 large vidalia onion (yellow onion also OK), sliced into half-moons
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- One 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
- Handful of fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped, plus more for serving
- Fresh lime juice, to taste
- Extra lime wedges, for serving
- 8 small corn tortillas, warmed (See Note)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, garlic, cumin, paprika, and black pepper, and stir to coat. Cook until the mushrooms are nicely browned, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Season with salt during the last minute of cooking. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the onion and bell pepper, and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until the vegetables are charred in places, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms back to the skillet along with the beans and continue cooking for another minute to heat up the beans. Turn heat off. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- While the vegetables cook, make the guacamole: place the avocados in a shallow bowl and mash with a fork until smooth. Add the cilantro and season to taste with salt and lime juice.
- Divide the guacamole among the warm tortillas and top with the veggie-bean mixture. Garnish the tacos with cilantro and serve with extra limes.
I like to char tortillas directly on my gas stove. If you have an electric stove, warm the tortillas in a skillet.
- Serving Size: 3 tacos
- Calories: 600
- Fiber: 7.6 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: mexican, tacos, fajita, vegan, weeknight