This vegan fall farro salad features chewy grains, sautéed carrots, white beans, and cranberries.
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1 cup farro
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 small carrots (about 1/2 pound), cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips* (see note below)
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 celery stalks, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- One 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup roasted slivered almonds*
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a small pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 cup farro and 1/4 teaspoon salt (do not stir). Cover tightly with a lid, reduce the heat to low, and simmer til all the water is absorbed (~20 minutes for pearled farro and ~35 for whole farro). Turn the heat off and leave covered for another 10 minutes to steam (still not stirring).
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the carrots, 3/4 teaspoon each garlic powder and smoked paprika, a pinch of salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Cook until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 diced celery stalks, 1 diced shallot, 1/4 cup minced parsley, the beans, and 1/4 cup each cranberries and almonds.
- Add the farro and carrots to the bowl and season with 2 tablespoons each lemon juice and olive oil. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Serve warm or at room temp.
- No need to peel the carrots if they’re organic.
- You can sub the almonds with roasted pecans, walnuts, or pine nuts.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 235
- Fat: 7.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.3 g
- Fiber: 7.4 g
- Protein: 8.2 g
Keywords: vegan, farro, salad, thanksgiving