This vegan fall farro salad features chewy grains, sauteed carrots, white beans, and cranberries. Perfect for Thanksgiving!
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1 cup farro
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 small/medium carrots (about 1/2 pound), halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick pieces on a diagonal *(see note)
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 small celery stalks, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- One 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup roasted slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a small pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 cup farro and 1/4 teaspoon salt (do not stir). Cover tightly with a lid, reduce the heat to low, and cook until all the water is absorbed (~20 minutes for pearled farro and ~35 for whole farro). Turn the heat off and leave covered to steam for another 10 minutes without stirring.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the carrots, 3/4 teaspoon each garlic powder and smoked paprika, a pinch of salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Cook until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 3 diced celery stalks, 1 diced shallot, 1/4 cup minced parsley, the beans, 1/4 cup cranberries, and 1/4 cup almonds.
- Add the farro and carrots to the bowl and season with 2 tablespoons each lemon juice and olive oil. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Serve warm or at room temp.
No need to peel the carrots if they’re organic.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 235
- Fat: 7.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.3 g
- Fiber: 7.4 g
- Protein: 8.2 g
Keywords: vegan, farro, salad, thanksgiving