Cooking perfectly fluffy brown rice is easy, but there are several key steps to follow – and more importantly, a few things to avoid.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Measure out 2 cups of water and pour off about 2 tablespoons (to account for the water remaining in the rinsed rice). Pour into a small pot, cover with a lid, and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, place the rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse it under running water.
- Season the boiling water with the salt. Add the rinsed rice to the boiling water (do not stir), cover tightly with a lid, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes* (do not stir while cooking).
- Turn the heat off (still, no stirring) and let the pot stand covered for an additional 10 minutes to steam. Fluff with a fork before serving.
*It’s important to note there are different types of brown rice – short grain, long grain, basmati, etc. They all have slightly different cook times.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 172
- Carbohydrates: 36.2 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
Keywords: brown rice, grains, rice, how to