This vegan roasted eggplant dish is inspired by Yotam Ottolenghi’s Nopi restaurant in London.
- 1 ½ pounds eggplant (about 2 medium or 3 small), trimmed and cut into ½-inch-thick rounds
- Sea salt
- ½ cup raw sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 to 4 tablespoons filtered water
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- About ¼ cup torn flat-leaf parsley
- Place the eggplant in a colander and sprinkle generously with salt, making sure all the slices are salted. Top with a plate and weigh it down with something heavy (like 2 cans). Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Meanwhile, place the almonds in a small skillet over medium heat. Toast, tossing occasionally, until lightly golden and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn the heat off. Add 1 teaspoon of the oil and toss to coat. Add the paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Toss to coat and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of water, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Whisk until the sauce is smooth and has a pourable consistency (at first it may seem like nothing’s happening, but keep whisking and it’ll come together); add more water if needed. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Set aside.
- Rinse off the eggplant and pat it dry with a kitchen towel. Arrange it in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Lightly brush the eggplant slices with oil and season with salt. Flip and brush and season the other side. Roast until the eggplant is lightly browned and soft, 30 to 35 minutes, flipping the slices once halfway through cooking.
- To serve, arrange the eggplant on a platter, drizzle with the tahini sauce, season with pepper, and top with the spiced almonds and parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 176
- Carbohydrates: 10.8 g
- Fiber: 22 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
Keywords: eggplant, tahini, almonds, parsley, israeli recipes, ottolenghi