Thai-inspired lemongrass curry – packed with a rainbow of vegetables and crispy tofu cubes.
- One 14-ounce block extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil, like avocado or refined coconut
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces green beans (a generous handful), trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces* (see note below)
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms (about 8 medium mushrooms), stemmed and quartered
- 3 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups bite-size broccoli florets
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 lemongrass stalk, trimmed, pounded, and finely minced*
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- One 13-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Rice and cilantro/basil, for serving (optional)
- Press tofu. Drain tofu and place it on a plate, then top with another plate or cutting board and weigh it down with something heavy (like a couple of cans), to squeeze out as much water as possible. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes, periodically draining off the excess water. (Or use a tofu press.)
- Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes, and season one side with salt and pepper.
- Cook tofu. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium heat. Arrange the tofu seasoned side down in a single layer in the skillet, then season the top-facing side. Cook until it forms a golden crust, resisting the urge to flip/move it until it’s ready, about 5 minutes per side; brown 2-3 of the sides. (Use tongs, not a spatula, to flip.) Remove and set aside.
- Cook vegetables. Drain off excess oil if needed and return skillet to medium heat. Add the beans, mushrooms, scallions, broccoli, and carrots. Cook until the broccoli is bright green and the vegetables are just starting to brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced lemongrass, ginger, and garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon each chili flakes and turmeric, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Finish curry. Add the tofu back in, along with the coconut milk, and 1 tablespoon each soy sauce and lime juice. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and cook for about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with rice and cilantro/basil.
- Feel free to swap in whatever veg you already have – like onion, cauliflower, snow peas, bell peppers, zucchini – as long as the overall volume of vegetables stays roughly the same.
- There’s no good substitute for lemongrass, so if you can’t find it, compensate with extra ginger and lime juice. (See lemongrass prep tips above recipe.)
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe (without rice)
- Calories: 350
- Fat: 29 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.4 g
- Fiber: 5.4 g
- Protein: 12.3 g
Keywords: thai, lemongrass, curry, vegan, vegetable