This vegan BLT with tempeh ‘bacon’ is a hearty and simple-to-make sandwich. Perfect for picnics and work-from-home lunches.
For the Tempeh Bacon
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons oil (like avocado, organic canola, or olive)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- One 8-ounce package of tempeh, cut into 1/3-inch-thick strips
For the Sandwiches
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- About 2 teaspoons of your favorite hot sauce, or more to taste
- 8 slices sandwich bread of your choice, toasted
- 2 ripe vine tomatoes, thinly sliced
- About 1/2 head lettuce (like little gem, romaine, or iceberg), torn
- Start the tempeh bacon: In a shallow dish, whisk together 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and 1 teaspoon smoked paprika. Add the tempeh slices and gently toss to coat. Let stand for at least 30 minutes, tossing again after 15 minutes to ensure it’s marinating evenly.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the tempeh strips in a single layer on the baking sheet (discard marinade). Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. The bacon will crisp up as it cools. (Leftover bacon may be kept in at airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.)
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together 1/3 cup mayo and hot sauce. Taste and adjust the heat level, if needed.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread some of the spicy mayo on each slice of bread and layer on the bacon, tomatoes, and lettuce.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 400
Keywords: vegan, blt, sandwich, tempeh