These vegan blueberry lemon muffins are light, airy, and perfumed with vanilla. Just 40 minutes – no special equipment required.
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup raw sugar* (see note below)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup oat milk*
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 400ºF. Line a muffin tin with paper cups (or lightly brush them with oil to prevent sticking).
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup almond flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Then add the blueberries and lemon zest, toss with a rubber spatula to coat in flour.
- In a measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour into the flour mixture and fold with a rubber spatula just until everything’s combined and there are no dry patches of flour left; do not overmix.
- Using an ice cream scoop or tablespoon, divide the batter among the muffin cups, filling them almost all the way to the top. Bake until lightly golden, 22 to 25 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes in the tin, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temp for up to 2 days.
- Raw sugar can be subbed with maple sugar or coconut sugar. Regular white sugar will also work.
- Oat milk is the best vegan milk for baking because it’s rich and most closely resembles dairy milk; cashew is another favorite. If all you have is almond or soy, that’ll work too.
- Use virgin coconut oil if you like the taste of coconut; use refined coconut oil if you don’t. (You can also sub it with avocado oil or organic canola.) To melt solid coconut oil, scoop some into a cup and microwave it for 10-30 seconds. Or melt it in a pot on the stove. Measure out 1/4 cup after it’s melted, then add to the batter.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 220
- Fat: 11.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.7 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 4.4 g
Keywords: vegan, blueberry, almond flour, muffins, healthy