These healthy homemade crackers are made with whole grains and seeds. They get their “cheesy” flavor from nutritional yeast and matching yellow hue from turmeric.
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats (or oat flour)
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour (all-purpose works too)
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary (1-2 sprigs)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a food processor, combine all the ingredients from the rolled oats through the turmeric powder. Process on high speed until the mixture is ground to a fine meal.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, water, and maple syrup. With the food processor motor running, slowly stream in the oil mixture. Stop and scrape down the sides, if needed. Continue to process until the mixture is evenly hydrated and starts to resemble dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a sheet of parchment paper and knead a few times to gather it into a ball. Cover the dough with a second sheet of parchment and roll it out into a rectangular-ish shape. Remove the top sheet of parchment and continue to roll until the dough is roughly 10×13” and ⅙”-thick (if the edges start to crack, just press them back together with your fingers). Using a sharp knife, score the dough into 1” squares (cutting almost, but not all the way, through).
- Transfer the dough with the bottom piece of parchment onto a baking sheet and bake until lightly golden, 15-18 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Gently break the crackers up and store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- Serving Size: 10 crackers
- Calories: 165
- Sodium: 285 mg
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
Keywords: crackers, nutritional yeast, vegan, whole grain, pumpkin seeds