This vegan caesar dressing recipe is adapted from Catskill Animal Sanctuary’s cookbook, Compassionate Cuisine.
For the Salad
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup filtered water
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 small bunch curly kale, stemmed and torn into bite-size pieces
For the Homemade Croutons (optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2–3 slices sourdough bread, cubed
- A pinch of fine sea salt
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- A pinch of smoked paprika
- A pinch of garlic powder
- Start the dressing: Place the cashews in a bowl and add enough boiling water to cover by about 1 inch. Let stand for at least 30 minutes (or up to 8 hours).
- Drain the cashews and place in a blender. Add the filtered water, lemon juice, capers, miso, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed (the dressing should have a strong tangy-salty flavor – it will mellow out when you add the kale).
- If making the homemade croutons, heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom. Add the bread and season with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and garlic. Toss to coat and toast, tossing occasionally, until the bread is golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Assemble the salad: Place the kale in a large mixing bowl. Add about a cup of the dressing and massage the kale for 1 to 2 minutes by squeezing it with your hands until softened. Mix in more dressing, if needed. Then toss in the croutons. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 115
Keywords: vegan, kale, caesar, salad, cashew