This vegan pancake mix is made with whole grain flours, flaxseed meal, and minimal sugar. The dry mix below is enough to make 2 batches of pancakes, and each batch makes 6-7 pancakes.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds)
- 2 teaspoons turbinado/raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
Wet Ingredients for 1 Batch of Pancakes
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons oil, plus more for the skillet (I recommend melted coconut oil)
- To make the pancake mix: In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, flaxseed meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine. Transfer to a lidded container and refrigerate until ready to use. (This mix is enough to make 2 batches of pancakes).
- To make 1 batch of pancakes: Measure out 1 ¾ cups of the pancake mix and place in a large bowl. Add the applesauce, milk, and oil. Stir just until combined. Refrigerate for 5 minutes. (The batter may seem thicker than you’re used to.)
- Place a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom. Scoop about ⅓-cup-fulls of the batter into the skillet, making 2-3 pancakes at a time. Cook for 2-3 minutes, flip, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Continue with the rest of the batter.
- Serving Size: 2 pancakes
- Calories: 337
- Sugar: 3.7 g
- Fiber: 6.9 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
Keywords: pancakes, cornmeal, breakfast, pancake mix, vegan