This mushroom-leek stuffing will make your whole home smell like Thanksgiving.
- 1-pound loaf of ciabatta [or similar] bread* (see note below)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 small carrots, peeled and finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium leek, white part only*, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Cut the bread into large [about 1 1/2 inch] cubes and place on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake until fully dry but not yet golden, about 12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Increase the oven temp to 375ºF
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven or another large pot over medium heat. Add the mushrooms with pinches of salt and pepper. Cook until golden, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pot and add the celery, carrots, leeks, garlic, and thyme, plus 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes. (If your vegetables are browning, turn the heat down.)
- Take the pot off the heat. To the pot, add the cooked mushrooms, toasted bread, and parsley. Add half of the broth and stir to incorporate. When the bread has absorbed most of the broth, incorporate the second half.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9×13-inch (or similar) baking dish. Bake until the top is dry and golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Buy a whole ciabatta loaf, sourdough boule, or another crusty white loaf, and slice it up yourself. Do not use sandwich bread.
- Do not throw away leek greens – they’re totally edible. Leek greens get crispy when fried – you can use them as a topping (like for my white bean purée) or in pasta (like my leek and pea pasta).
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 210
- Sodium: 376 mg
- Fat: 5.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.9 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 6.1 g
Keywords: vegan stuffing, thanksgiving, leek, mushroom