This creamy vegan mushroom soup is made with rolled oats instead of dairy or refined flour! (Adapted from The Complete Vegan Cookbook)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Dill and/or spiced pumpkin seeds, for serving (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, and salt, and cook until the mushrooms are softened, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the broth, soy sauce, oats, and pepper. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and gently simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using an immersion or upright blender (see safety note below), purée the soup until completely smooth. Taste and re-season if needed.
When using an upright blender to puree anything hot, it’s super important that steam has a way to escape, so remember to take out the removable center of the blender lid (and cover it loosely with a kitchen towel). If the steam gets trapped inside, its pressure will blow off the lid when you press ‘blend’ and hot soup will go everywhere, staining your kitchen and potentially burning you. Do not use a Nutribullet.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 120
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.7 g
- Protein: 3.8 g
Keywords: mushroom, soup, vegan, oats