This savory classic is dairy-free and packed with delicious flavors like garlic, smoked paprika, and miso. The only vegan creamed corn recipe you’ll ever need.
When I was growing up in Ukraine – in our gorgeous coastal city of Odessa – my mom would take my sister and me to the beach every single day in the summers. We’d spend our time in an endless cycle of splashing in the sea and drying up on the sand. As if that wasn’t awesome enough on its own, there was a vendor who would walk the beach, selling… wait for it: boiled corn. As a snack – the equivalent of the Italian ice you can get on the beach here in Brooklyn.
The corn lady would yell, “Hot corn! Hot corn!” until someone flagged her down. After an exchange of money, she’d pull out a piping hot corn cob out of her checkered tarp bag and hand you a salt shaker along with it. You’d eat the sweet, salty, juicy corn while glancing over the glittering water.
Twenty-some years later, I still think of corn as the ultimate summer food. Unlike most other produce, this is the one vegetable I only buy when it’s in season; out-of-season corn imported from god-knows-where might as well be cardboard.
This year, while brainstorming how to best showcase this magical vegetable, I decided to go the creamy route. This vegan creamed corn is smoky, savory, and deliciously luxurious-tasting – ideal for every kind of summer cookout and picnic, or just good ol’ Tuesday night dinner.
What’s In This Vegan Creamed Corn
This flavor-packed, dairy-free creamed corn is so not basic. It has sautéed shallots, garlic, and chili flakes for a sweet-spicy base flavor, smoked paprika for smokiness, and miso for a savory, almost cheesy note. Coconut milk instead of the traditional dairy makes it rich, and a sprinkle of all-purpose flour thickens the sauce.
My secret ingredient is liquid smoke, a magical condiment I recently discovered that can make literally anything taste like it’s been in a smoker for hours. You can find it in many supermarkets in the condiments aisle, or online (but if you can’t, just skip it).
Fresh vs. Frozen Corn
This whole dish is about celebrating the sweet, earthy flavor of fresh corn, so if you can get your hands on local in-season corn, please do; you’ll end up with a super flavorful creamed corn with a slightly snappier texture. If you can’t, frozen corn will work too, resulting in a softer texture. The one downside to fresh corn is the mess, since cutting the kernels off the cobs can be a bit dramatic.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- Shallot: If you don’t have one, use a small piece of white or red onion instead, making sure to dice it super finely.
- Chili Flakes: add a bit of heat. Feel free to sub with Aleppo pepper, diced fresh chilis, or even a splash of hot sauce.
- All-Purpose Flour: For a gluten-free version, sub with a 1-to-1 gluten-free flour blend.
- Smoked Paprika: balances the sweetness of the corn. Don’t skip it!
- Coconut Milk: For a lower calorie/low fat version, opt for “light” coconut milk.
- Miso: adds a savory, salty, “cheesy” bite. If you don’t have it, sub with a tablespoon of nutritional yeast or a splash of Yondu.
Vegan Creamed Corn Step-by-Step
Shuck the Corn: Pull the outer leaves and silks off the cobs. Lay the corn on your cutting board and cut the kernels off by running a sharp knife down the cob.
Sauté the Aromatics: Cook the garlic, shallots, and chili flakes in a large pan for a few minutes, just until the shallot is soft. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Then stir in the flour and paprika.
Make the Sauce: Add the coconut milk and miso. Whisk to dissolve the miso and bring the sauce to a simmer.
Cook the Corn: Add the corn to the skillet and cook until it no longer tastes raw, about 8 minutes.
Serve the Corn: Season to taste, if needed, and garnish with cilantro before serving.
More summer vegetables…
- Tomato-Peach Salad with Corn and Basil
- Marinated Cucumber Salad
- Raw Broccoli Salad
- 7 Must-Try Eggplant Recipes
Let me know if you try this recipe! Give it a rating below and leave a comment, and don’t forget to tag @thenewbaguette on Instagram with your creation.Print
The best vegan creamed corn! Smoky, creamy, and easy to make.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small shallot, finely diced* (see note below)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup full-fat unsweetened coconut milk (about half a standard can)
- 1 tablespoon white miso*
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 ears of fresh corn, shucked (about 3 cups corn kernels) OR one 12-ounce bag frozen corn kernels
- A few drops of liquid smoke (optional)
- Cilantro, parsley, or scallions, for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallots, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes. Cook for just a few minutes, until the shallot is soft, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add 1 tablespoon flour and 1 teaspoon paprika, and stir just until incorporated.
- Add 3/4 cup coconut milk and 1 tablespoon miso, and whisk until the miso is dissolved. Bring the sauce to a boil.
- Stir in the corn and a few drops of liquid smoke (if using). Simmer gently over low heat until the corn no longer tastes raw, about 8 minutes.
- Garnish with herbs before serving.
- You can sub the shallot with a small piece of white/red onion, making sure to dice it super finely.
- You can sub miso with a tablespoon of nutritional yeast or splash of Yondu.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 240
- Fat: 15.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.7 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: vegan, creamed, corn, coconut milk